There are few things more important to keep safe than our photos. Over the past few years, many apps have become available for managing, organizing and storing photos. Finally, there’s one that can replace them all: Google Photos. It’s by far the easiest and most convenient photo management service I’ve ever used. Here are my top 3 reasons to make the switch.
Free Unlimited Hi Res Storage & Backup
- Never lose another photo again. If your phone gets dropped in a puddle, your hard drive crashes, whatever else, your photos will be safely stored in the cloud… in high resolution. You can find all your photos at photos.google.com. All you need to get started is a free Google account.
- There’s one caveat: it does compress images larger than 16 megapixels to conserve costs. There are paid plans, but the average smartphone user won’t need to even consider these.
Automatic Sorting & Search
- Google photos solves a problem we all seem to have, sorting through thousands of photos. It can identify people and things with facial recognition technology. Put simply, it knows what your dog looks like and you can find pictures of Fido at the park from last year in seconds.
- The Google Photos “Assistant” can do fun things like make animated GIFs out of a bunch of similar photos, automatically create albums and collages based on when and where the photos were taken.
- You can create your own albums quickly and easily too. Take a look at the brief video below to see how.
- Sharing is pretty straightforward. You can post a link to a specific album you’ve created. Knowing that all your photos are private until you share them is a definite plus.
How to Set Up the Desktop Backup
Auto upload photos from your Mac or Windows computer, camera, or storage cards.
Get the App Here (Android, and iOS)