Now that we’re in the dog days of summer, many folks are taking some well-earned vacation time to travel. My pick of the month for August might just help you get around your new destination, especially if they speak another language. My pick is the Google Translate app. The latest update added 27 languages to the app. Two awesome features that will help are the Real-Time Voice Translation and the Instant Translation feature for printed text.
Real-time Voice Translation
- Acts as an intermediary for two people holding a conversation using different languages.
- You tap the in-app mic once and starting talking in the foreign language first. Then, after the first language has been recognized, tap the mic again and both people can begin talking. The app pulls in text-based translations of both sides of the conversation in real-time, helping overcome the language barrier.
Instant Translation Feature for Printed Text
- Instant Translation Feature for Printed Text
- You can literally point your phone’s camera at something written in another language, and almost instantly read the text in your language. This week Google has expanded this feature to include 27 different languages. How cool is that? Take a look at the demo below to see how simple it is.
27 Supported Languages
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, Hungarian, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian.
Get the App Here (Android, and iOS)