Diana O’Brien, the CMO of Deloitte, delivered a personal and powerful keynote address at the Legal Marketing Association Annual Conference in Austin. In the past, marketing was simply about pushing a message. Diana proposed that marketing is now about the mindset, moments, moves, and meaning that result in quality client service and client experience.
- “The passion for stretching yourself and sticking to it… is the hallmark of the growth mindset… that allows people to thrive during some of the most challenging times in their lives.” – Carol Dweck
- What are the most important qualities that marketers must possess today? (Live polling results.)
- The foundation of a marketing mindset is thinking of the client first.
- Diana illustrated that there are moments you respond to, and moments you create through her personal story of raising 3 autistic children and founding Impact Autism.
- She tied it back to marketing by saying it is “our job is to help create those moments that matter” for clients that are experiencing a challenge and feeling uncertainty.
- She advised that firms can create those moments with clients by showing up, being human, and giving clients hope about the future.
- Actions (or moves) are needed to create those moments that matter.
- What marketing moves are the most important? (Live polling results.)
1. Walk in their shoes
2. Work it together (engage client to be part of the solution)
3. Tailor it
4. Suspend self-interest
5. Up their game
6. Say what no one else will
7. Bring a point of view
8. Own it
9. Show up (be present when it matters)
10. Change the lens (see from new perspective)
- Diana presented Deloitte as a case study for developing meaningful client service by building strong relationships, creating powerful experiences, and delivering unique insights.
- Build strong relationships:
1. With an inspiring, consistent brand
2. Connecting to stakeholders where they are
3. By knowing our clients’ issues
- Create powerful experiences:
1. Through digital channels
2. With innovative platforms
3. In physical settings
- Deliver unique insights:
1. Through world class eminence
2. Via innovative formats
3. From deep industry expertise
Pulling from Deloitte’s tagline, “Making an impact that matters,” Diana challenged everyone to make an impact that matters today and everyday, whether it is at work or in his or her personal life.